Return to “Games”

Re: No Man's Sky

Dinosawer wrote:Well, that starts looking like something I'd buy!
Not for 60 or 30 bucks though, that's just silly. :ghost:
RPS article commenter wrote:Man this game is going to be great by the time I buy it for $5.
:lol: :clap:

4.1GB download. :problem: Yikes. At least 25% of that had better be the new 65DOS tracks.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Baile nam Fonn wrote:
RPS article commenter wrote:Man this game is going to be great by the time I buy it for $5.
Why you all so mean? No man's sky was great, for the size of the team that developed it. And Sean Murray is a great guy I think. :ghost:
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:
Baile nam Fonn wrote:
Why you all so mean? No man's sky was great, for the size of the team that developed it. And Sean Murray is a great guy I think. :ghost:
No Man's Sky was a game that was released too soon because the devs ran out of money (Sean Murray actually said as much in his recent GDC talk) and because they cornered themselves by promising a release date. It launched with numerous bugs and a large number of missing features that Sean had promised in his interviews, some of which were subsequently added in later updates (to name a few- physics on animals, ship and multitool classes, meaningful consequences of race and faction standing, giant fleets of ships and big space battles, in-atmosphere freighters, naming ships and so on).

The reason people were pissed at NMS because Sean lied about what the game was and what it contained in his interviews, and subsequently colossally failed to deliver (he confirmed in interviews that it had multiplayer, that it had huge sand worms, that the game had complex creature AI, that the sky wasn't a skybox, that there was something meaningful and significant at the center etc.) Lying to your audience is not cool.

Vartul wrote: No Man's Sky was a game that was released too soon because the devs ran out of money (Sean Murray actually said as much in his recent GDC talk) and because they cornered themselves by promising a release date. It launched with numerous bugs and a large number of missing features that Sean had promised in his interviews, some of which were subsequently added in later updates (to name a few- physics on animals, ship and multitool classes, meaningful consequences of race and faction standing, giant fleets of ships and big space battles, in-atmosphere freighters, naming ships and so on).

The reason people were pissed at NMS because Sean lied about what the game was and what it contained in his interviews, and subsequently colossally failed to deliver (he confirmed in interviews that it had multiplayer, that it had huge sand worms, that the game had complex creature AI, that the sky wasn't a skybox, that there was something meaningful and significant at the center etc.) Lying to your audience is not cool.

But why did they corner themself with a release date? Because they had so much people jumping on the hype train that don't want to wait. And why did he "lie" to them? He said he wanted to implement that stuff. But he couldn't shift the release date anymore, because that would have resulted in huge shitstorms and angry Hypers.

There are people out there who always want their games NOW and PERFECTLY made. Heck, there are people complaining about bugs and not fully fleshed out features in Betas and Early Access games.

It's like the people who say Star Citizen is a scam because it takes so long. They release new stuff every week, they write dev diaries, and they are 7 years in development. Blizzard needed (if I'm informed right) more than 7 years to develop Diablo 3, a (in relation to Star Citizen) less complex game. And they already had a huge studio and an established team and project lead structure. Cloud Imperium Games developed their team structure WHILE making the game. And still people are complaining.

But back to No Man's Sky: I think Sean Murray once said, that he wasn't the one that wanted to present the game so early. He wanted to present the game when it's nearly finished. Sony pushed him to show it, and from then on the spotlight of EVERYONE was on that huge project of this small team. He was in "Zugzwang", meaning he HAD to deliver new stuff. And the Hypers wanted a release date. Tbh, I wanted one too. But I would have understood it if they said "It's just not finished, give us more time, or we will have to deliver an unfinished product".

I think this is essentially, how this disaster happened.
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

JanB1 wrote:But I would have understood it if they said "It's just not finished, give us more time, or we will have to deliver an unfinished product".
Yeah, but he didn't. Nor did he say that it was an unfinished product. They just released it and pretended it was what they said, which it wasn't.
While using footage of things that aren't in the game.
Even as a good guy pushed to release stuff too early, that is a dishonest thing that you just don't do.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:
JanB1 wrote:But I would have understood it if they said "It's just not finished, give us more time, or we will have to deliver an unfinished product".
Yeah, but he didn't. Nor did he say that it was an unfinished product. They just released it and pretended it was what they said, which it wasn't.
While using footage of things that aren't in the game.
Even as a good guy pushed to release stuff too early, that is a dishonest thing that you just don't do.
Yeah, THAT is true. It could have been pressure from Sony, though. Wouldn't be the first time a publisher makes a game better than it is by using footage that isn't true...
Nothing to see here

Cornflakes_91 wrote:He used footage of a scripted environment and claimed it was the game "as it is now".
And the actual game wasnt even remotely there, sure, pr departments often use "prettified" shots, but nothing that big and bold is known to me.
Which was a big and fat lie to the face of everyone who bought the game in the end.
Okay, convinced.
Nothing to see here

No Man’s Sky devs launching fund for proc gen games
After trapping a galaxy inside a computer using maths, No Man’s Sky developers Hello Games are launching an initiative to fund and support other devs’ wild dreams of procedural worlds. With first-hand experience of risking running out of money while working on something they loved, they’d like to help other folks working with procedural generation and experimental games research. ‘Hello Labs’, as they call it, has already befriended one project and more may follow. For now, it’s all a bit mysterious.
/summonJosh :ghost:

HowSerendipitous wrote:*Shrug*

I'm willing to give them a chance to fix the game. Somehow I've got 68 hours out of it, so it's not done too badly.

And the new update sounds spiffy, only about 200 years until it finishes downloading... :squirrel:
All the new stuff is cool, but still does little to address the underlying problem that there's no substance to anything. Meet one alien, met them all, explored one planet for 5 minutes, seen everything worth seeing.

Definitely a time sink, but still nothing motivating me to want to do anything in it.

Online Now