Return to “Announcements”

Re: Limit Theory Prototype is Here!!!

Surely it would make more sense from a bug-testing perspective to make it available to everyone?

I can understand wanting to give backers some sort of incentive, perhaps in-game incentives when it's released would be better?

Personally, i would be more likely to back the project financially if i had access to the prototype first rather than the other way round (BUT i AM currently backing numerous other projects including Elite/dangerous and Star Citizen)

Parazaine wrote:Surely it would make more sense from a bug-testing perspective to make it available to everyone?

I can understand wanting to give backers some sort of incentive, perhaps in-game incentives when it's released would be better?

Personally, i would be more likely to back the project financially if i had access to the prototype first rather than the other way round (BUT i AM currently backing numerous other projects including Elite/dangerous and Star Citizen)
There isn't any need for more financial backing. The prototype can be considered a stand alone game. It won't be developed together with the final LT version.
As such, more bugtesting isn't really needed. Knowing Josh and his habit of ripping out code, I doubt the current LT engine is a lot different anyway. ;-)
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Simply put, the prototype was a reward tier. By opening it up to more than those who backed at the tier, it will trivialize those that put more money just for the early access.

You can already choose a lower tier than the amount that you back at, so when it comes to opening up specific rewards to all, or lower tiers, it will make those who specifically backed at the higher amount a bit upset.

As for in-game incentives... Those don't really work well when it comes to stand-alone single-player games--especially sandbox games.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I'm still of the opinion once Josh gets the ship editor done, that he release it as a stand-alone for promotion purposes; much like the way the Spore Creature Creator was released independently of Spore. *wink wink nudge nudge* :silent:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:I'm still of the opinion once Josh gets the ship editor done, that he release it as a stand-alone for promotion purposes; much like the way the Spore Creature Creator was released independently of Spore. *wink wink nudge nudge* :silent:
I would very much like that!
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

I could see that happening too, assuming it gets done significantly before the beta.

But I almost certainly will release some small application publicly before the beta, just so that we can get a lot of the hardware compatibility issues dealt with up-front. I should have done that before LTP even, as it would have avoided the "Great AMD Tragedy of April 2013" :roll:

So I think there will definitely be something. If not a ship editor, then maybe LT Space Invaders. Or LT Brickbreaker :P
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:I could see that happening too, assuming it gets done significantly before the beta.

But I almost certainly will release some small application publicly before the beta, just so that we can get a lot of the hardware compatibility issues dealt with up-front. I should have done that before LTP even, as it would have avoided the "Great AMD Tragedy of April 2013" :roll:

So I think there will definitely be something. If not a ship editor, then maybe LT Space Invaders. Or LT Brickbreaker :P

Personally I would love a ship creator and combat simulator.
Design your own ship, equip it and fight wave after wave of enemies. Rake up points/money and buy better ships & equipment. (but only one ship can be owned at a time).
If you really have too much time on your hands you could make this mini game communicate stats with a server, so scores can be kept and compared. :D

But this is all wishful thinking. :D

Katorone wrote: Personally I would love a ship creator and combat simulator.
Design your own ship, equip it and fight wave after wave of enemies. Rake up points/money and buy better ships & equipment. (but only one ship can be owned at a time).
If you really have too much time on your hands you could make this mini game communicate stats with a server, so scores can be kept and compared. :D
Despite how simplistic and pervasive those games are, I must admit, I find myself strangely addicted to them...

JoshParnell wrote: ... there will definitely be something. If not a ship editor, then maybe LT Space Invaders. Or LT Brickbreaker :P
.. Or a ship generator ala Saints Row 4 Character creator, and have it fly around a single star system LTP (with limited, or no AI) ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJHCmpm5os

Time permitting of course ;)

- The O

P.S. Apologies for the bump
- The O

There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary,
and those who don't.

Online Now