Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

I guess she could? She doesn't copy anything down, though, so I'd have to add all that. She also doesn't have the ability to actually write anything anywhere.
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:01 am
Talvieno wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:50 pm
If he kills the forums, I lose five years of the REKT RPG I've been working on. I find that to be a terrifying thought. Fortunately I don't think he's going to... not yet at least. The payment date is somewhere around September, if I remember correctly, and that's come and gone for this year without a hiccup.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be safer to move over to somewhere else at this point.
Thinking you might be right... just to be safe. That's a big undertaking though. We've put a lot of stuff in the REKT subforum over the years.
CSE wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm
I am not wondering.
Make a copy of the forum database (at least REKT).
Weekly or so. Hopefully you have the rights, otherwise you may need to make a bot and « read/store » the threads.
Nope, don't have the rights. I'm not sure I actually have the ability to change anything on the site at all, much less database access.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm
I guess she could? She doesn't copy anything down, though, so I'd have to add all that. She also doesn't have the ability to actually write anything anywhere.
Dinosawer wrote:
Talvieno wrote:
If he kills the forums, I lose five years of the REKT RPG I've been working on. I find that to be a terrifying thought. Fortunately I don't think he's going to... not yet at least. The payment date is somewhere around September, if I remember correctly, and that's come and gone for this year without a hiccup.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be safer to move over to somewhere else at this point.
Thinking you might be right... just to be safe. That's a big undertaking though. We've put a lot of stuff in the REKT subforum over the years.
CSE wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:02 pm
I am not wondering.
Make a copy of the forum database (at least REKT).
Weekly or so. Hopefully you have the rights, otherwise you may need to make a bot and « read/store » the threads.
Nope, don't have the rights. I'm not sure I actually have the ability to change anything on the site at all, much less database access.
Could it be automated with a bot scraping the forum?
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm
Dinosawer wrote:
Talvieno wrote:
Aye, but the undertaking is only going to increase the more we postpone it...
Didn't Silver have a Thing to scrape the forums as backup or something?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

I suppose anyone could create a backup using wget (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget) - at least of all publicly visible threads; I'm not sure if there's more, apart from obviously private direct messages, or how large a part of the whole those deeper sections might be. I don't want to post something directly working, for fear of too many people putting too large a load on the server, but such example commands are just a search away. Someone who does this might consider using the -w parameter to add a time delay between requests (examples: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/357 ... ts-in-wget).

I'd compile the archive myself, though somehow it seems better for that kind of thing to come from someone not so no-name - from someone who is actually recognisable as a member of the community. That, and I'm unsure about the copyright problems one might technically get into if sharing so many contributions from others.

(As a side-note, I once used wget to "save" the remains of a dying forum (for the overhyped game StarForge), starting the process just too late to get much before it was shut down. That was only for silly sentimental reasons - the Limit Theory forum seems vastly more valuable and informative. For me, this feels almost like the beginnings of a pattern; I'm wondering if I'll take a liking to a third and yet more interesting forum-potentially-at-risk...)

Someone may or may not have been giving the backup-via-wget method a go. During this hypothetical process, the (practically speaking) simulated scraping experience suggests that one might reasonably end up with unreasonably many redundant downloads unless one takes care to exclude a few common URL patterns, such as by adding another parameter to the wget invocation:

Code: Select all

--reject-regex 'posting|search|print|ucp|feed|viewprofile|\?p='
This precaution could (in theory) avoid the following:
  • attempts to quote/reply to every single post
  • searches (such as listings of each user's posts)
  • print views
  • attempts to access direct messaging
  • the Atom feed
  • attempts to view user profiles (which show nothing to a web scraper that isn't logged in as a forum user)
  • stupendously superfluous per-post (rather than per-topic or per-page) views
Silverware wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:09 pm
I had built a scraping bot to do this, but there were innumerable errors with the bloody thing.
So... you're saying the Silverware software needs polishing? Ahem. :ghost:
(My bad sense of humour isn't liable to apologise for itself, so I do so in its stead. I'll see myself out.)

Hi all,

I am aware that over the past months and years, people here had lamented, complained, justified or talked about Josh's disappearance and his last promise-break about the source code. However, I think it has been a while since we last heard some official words about any of it either from him or from people who may be in a position to actually contact Josh. So, I will go ahead and ask more officially to Josh (in case he ever reads this), Talvieno and others who know Josh more personally or who have his contacts:

1- does anyone know if Josh is doing well - I mean in terms of health and job placement? I don't need details that he does not want to disclose, I am at this point just worried about him, so it would be refreshing if someone could reach out just to check on him.
2- would it be possible to double-check if Josh still has the intention of releasing the source code and\or what are his plans related to his last promise?

Obviously, if Josh was open to talk again to the LT community, I would also love to hear about what he has been doing work-wise, and what are his next projects. But because I think learning any of that seems too much of an ask, I would stick with the two items above.

Thanks for those who may be able to reach out to him. And to you all for keeping this place alive.

Best regards,

Kimny

Kimny wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:19 pm
1- does anyone know if Josh is doing well - I mean in terms of health and job placement? I don't need details that he does not want to disclose, I am at this point just worried about him, so it would be refreshing if someone could reach out just to check on him.
2- would it be possible to double-check if Josh still has the intention of releasing the source code and\or what are his plans related to his last promise?
Last I heard he'd gotten a job with some other game devs, but the last we heard was literally years ago. He hasn't responded as far as I know to anyone's attempts to contact him since then even Tal's, so I wouldn't count on getting a status update or even a yes/no on the source (which you might as well interpret as a "no" at this point)

Happy_10 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:25 am
Well even if the project didn't complete it managed to change my life. Looking back, reading his daily devlogs on my morning commute was a huge factor in my life decision to quit my job and start my studies in programming.
His excitement and love for beautiful complexity were really contagious. And to that I'm thankful, and I wish him the best of luck in any future adventures.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Impression of Planet Spam Link Removed with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about Spam Link Removed.
Yay, I hope that's all working out for you :squirrel: He's certainly inspired a lot of people to do things.
Last edited by Talvieno on Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out spam links

Sadly it's just a clever bot. It was copying this comment from 2018:
rickisen wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:03 am
Well even if the project didn't complete it managed to change my life. Looking back, reading his daily devlogs on my morning commute was a huge factor in my life decision to quit my job and start my studies in programming.
His excitement and love for beautiful complexity was really contagious. And to that I'm thankful, and I wish him the best of luck in any future adventures.
In regards to Josh: It's been a while since I've heard from him. Don't really know how he's doing. Hope he's all right, though. As far as I see it, he just bit off more than he could chew - no surprise given the scope of the project and how it ballooned. I just hope his failure didn't shatter his bold, idealistic, driven nature.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 am
Happy_10 wrote:
His excitement and love for beautiful complexity were really contagious. And to that I'm thankful, and I wish him the best of luck in any future adventures.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Impression of Planet Spam Link Removed with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about Spam Link Removed.
Yay, I hope that's all working out for you :squirrel: He's certainly inspired a lot of people to do things.
Josh was the reason I decided to learn programming, now I'm a computer engineer :)
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.

In magenta we trust

HowSerendipitous wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:06 am
Happy_10 wrote:

He also caused a lot of awesome people to come together and create this great community! :)
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now