Return to “Announcements”

Re: The End

Thanks for everything Josh. I deeply appreciate the effort and passion you've brought to this project over the years. Really though, my kickstarter pledge wasn't made to receive a game, it was to help you achieve your dream. I'm saddened to hear you won't be able to realise that goal in the form you had hoped, but am in no way disappointed in your attempt to reach that goal. You should be proud of everything you have been able to achieve.

Remember, as a great hero once said; It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.

Safe travels, Captain.
- The Snark Knight

"Look upward, and share the wonders I've seen."

This is the right decision Josh.

Congratulations for having the courage to take it. We know you did your best, now get your life back.

Wish you all the best!

And for the forum, you can count on me for sharing the cost as well!

Reading this announcement made me deeply sad. Reading the comments below it, and what people said here on the forums, made me feel hopeful for humanity again, which is something that doesn't happen too often.

It was a wonderful journey: I've got to meet wonderful people, and read many a thoughtful, interesting post. I've seen the development being done; I've seen the darkness that engulfed us all, and the new hope that shined upon us. It is sad to see the dream end, but I don't regret a single second spent dreaming. The only thing I regret is that I wasn't in time to donate my money to the Limit Theory Kickstarter.

I don't know what will happen next. I am sure that friends I've made here will remain my friends for years to come. I am sure that emotions I've felt and thoughts I've thought made me a better person. I am sure that participating in such a beautiful project was a reward in itself. I am sure that I have no space for anger or resentment in my heart.

You've given it your best shot, Josh. And you always had the courage to admit your mistakes, and confront your problems - even if after a long period of soul-searching. I have nothing to blame you for in this regard. We all are imperfect being, sacks of flesh around the weak bone structure; yet some of us strive for something perfect. This alone deserves respect and admiration.

I salute you, and I can only hope that the heavy blow that you've suffered doesn't end your desire to create and amaze the world by your creations.

And to all the people who were (and still are) following Josh on this journey - I salute you as well. You guys are amazing human beings, and it was an honour to know you, and I hope that friendships we forged over the years will continue in the years to come.

*Salutes and lowers the flag*

It was the perfect dream. See you around, folks. See you around.
Survivor of the Josh Parnell Blackout of 2015.

I was rooting for you 'till the very end, but it's important that you made the call that you know to be best for your health and wellbeing. It was great to catch a glimpse of what you're capable of, best of luck out there, and don't give up on Limit Theory, the philosophy. Every limit is a misunderstanding, anything can be overcome. You may just need a bit more time, a bit more experience to find the right insight.

Please don't agonize over the past - if there is one thing I learned in class during the way too many years I spent pursuing a degree, is that there is no such thing as a mistake. You made decisions according to the best of your knowledge and ability. Nothing was in vain, we all gained so much.

I'm eager to see where you go next. Thank you for the journey.
panic

Limit Theory changed my life for the better. The fact that it's not going to ship will never change that. I wish the best for this community and I'm so glad to see y'all's support and understanding for Josh in this really hard time. I'm never going to forget the time I spent on this project and the people I met on these forums. <3
Ship Inspiration Pinterest!! (send me stuff)

"You’ve got to work on something dangerous. You have to work on something that makes you uncertain. Something that makes you doubt yourself... because it stimulates you to do things you haven’t done before. The whole thing is if you know where you’re going, you’ve gone, as the poet says. And that’s death."
- Stephen Sondheim

Sorry, but I'll buck the trend to this thread.

I expected it would not get released, too many devs getting away with taking money and not producing.
But don't worry, through all that time he managed to spend the, what was it.. nearly $200,000 he got. I'm sure that was stressful too, but he managed to get rid of it.

Triopalite wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:54 pm

I expected it would not get released, too many devs getting away with taking money and not producing.
But don't worry, through all that time he managed to spend the, what was it.. nearly $200,000 he got. I'm sure that was stressful too, but he managed to get rid of it.
$186,000 over six years is $31.000 a year, only slightly above Louisiana's living wage, and not much to live off of. This doesn't take into account how much he would've had to spend on hiring his various coders - things he certainly wouldn't have done if he'd intended to take the money and run. (Also, if he intended to take the money and run, why write an apology?) As it's clear you haven't been paying much attention, though, I'll give you a little leeway. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:10 pm
Triopalite wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:54 pm

$186,000 over six years is $31.000 a year, only slightly above Louisiana's living wage, and not much to live off of. This doesn't take into account how much he would've had to spend on hiring his various coders - things he certainly wouldn't have done if he'd intended to take the money and run. (Also, if he intended to take the money and run, why write an apology?) As it's clear you haven't been paying much attention, though, I'll give you a little leeway. :)
What about the money he would have earned doing his day job..
I have been watching, not commenting on here, but could see for some time, that in my opinion, he took money, then having spent a great deal of it and knowing he couldn't really produce a game, started to panic.
But I'm sure he probably had a day job and the $187,000 just topped it up nicely.

I obviously, are not as kind as you, or gullible.

We'll see him again, probably not as Josh though, he will miss that large sum..

JoshParnell wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 am
I don't know what more to say. Today is the most painful day of my life, and I simply hope that a handful of you will find it in your heart to forgive me. I have given all that I can, and it still nowhere near enough :cry:
Damn. And it seemed like you were so very close to some "toy" second alpha version. My disappointment must be a mere fraction of yours, but I'm still disappointed. :(

Of course, it's also very evident how you would be exhausted. You're still a very talented individual, don't burn yourself out further at this point, it'll only lead to you hating or even loosing your skill with code. Some of which you obviously dearly fought for during this project. Take a break and get back to working on something that boosts your finances on an easy, regular schedule. The world actually doesn't have many of you - failed big project or not.

Now, from where I stand, LT probably still has interesting GUI capabilities, interesting UI designs, an interesting engine, and so on. It was possible to prepare a PAX demo and many other demos for us with it. I do actually anticipate the source code release. Consider which open source license(s?) you offer us on these. Don't regard it as a throwaway thing or pointless gesture, okay? It's probably still pretty nice bit of code by a good programmer. It might find use somewhere.

Also, I forgive you if you face this post mortem with some brains. Heartbreak or not, you are the only one who can be the general of an ordered if maybe quick withdrawal, so I'll be harsh and ask you to do that. Release source code and assets in your name as planned, decide and announce if and when the forums go down, and so on. If you have a bit more faith, make this the initial discussion platform for any potential community usage of the code.

Well then...

I guess it's up to us to finish this.
Josh, if you could put the code up on Git, and then provide Tal (or someone else) ownership of the project so they can merge branches in, your faithful will get this game across the line, eventually.
I refuse to see Limit Theory just end, and thus will put my own ... "skill" into the project.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

JoshParnell wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 am
Perhaps those who are interested in game engines will glean a thing or two from the engine, as it is a fairly solid piece of engineering, much more solid than the Lua game code.
Hi Josh. I neither know the state of the engine code nor understand the game business, but I'm aware that game engine licensing is A Thing, and can't help but wonder whether there's a chance (perhaps slim) to find a way to recoup something from this, if someone with the resources to build a commercial game happened to be interested in using the foundation you've built.

Perhaps when you release the code, the license should be free for non-commercial use, but contain some kind of provision for commercial use?

Online Now