Return to “Announcements”

Re: [ FORUM UPDATE ] : Feedback, Known Issues, Etc.

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:25 pm
Flatfingers: Safari and iPhones in general are very broken when it comes to web development. For instance, it does this strange thing with resizing text because it feels like you should always be able to read anything on the page without zooming in... which is why the main page LT website is currently broken on iPhones. There's not much I can do about it, either, with what I have. I'm doing my best to get some kind of fix put together though.
Understood. I've spent my share of time fighting with HTML and CSS to get my JavaScript games to display properly across multiple browsers, including mobile Safari. Every last one of them has quirks... but Apple seems to revel in theirs.

One thing I'd mention is that I was fine with the previous forum software just serving up the desktop interface to my phone, and not even trying to get fancy with mobile-specific layout. If there's a "use desktop interface" option for the new stuff, I'd love to try it.

Otherwise, please don't feel pressured by any of my comments. Definitely work the other more important things first; I'll cope.

If there's at all a way to disable it, I would be doing that first thing, I assure you. :P But after much online searching, I can't seem to find an easy way. I'd like everyone to be able to access the LT site without any trouble, and it pains me to know some people can barely use it just because of some quirk in the code somewhere.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Flatfingers wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:37 pm
Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:25 pm
Flatfingers: Safari and iPhones in general are very broken when it comes to web development. For instance, it does this strange thing with resizing text because it feels like you should always be able to read anything on the page without zooming in... which is why the main page LT website is currently broken on iPhones. There's not much I can do about it, either, with what I have. I'm doing my best to get some kind of fix put together though.
Understood. I've spent my share of time fighting with HTML and CSS to get my JavaScript games to display properly across multiple browsers, including mobile Safari. Every last one of them has quirks... but Apple seems to revel in theirs.

One thing I'd mention is that I was fine with the previous forum software just serving up the desktop interface to my phone, and not even trying to get fancy with mobile-specific layout. If there's a "use desktop interface" option for the new stuff, I'd love to try it.

Otherwise, please don't feel pressured by any of my comments. Definitely work the other more important things first; I'll cope.
does the browser not have an "show desktop version" option ?

Thanks to Josh and Talvieno for all the work that went into the upgrade, and the modernised look & feel!
The desktop version seems to work mostly fine for me, no show stoppers so far.

I was especially happy about the responsive design as I'm mostly reading (lurking) through my phone.
However as others have pointed out and you are already aware browsing the forums through a mobile device in portrait mode is currently completely broken. Here are a few things I've picked up before giving up browsing on my phone:

• Major issue: The rendered page content does not seem to align with the links - leading to broken links everywhere (can't even open a thread by clicking on it's title - is going to a random forum instead)
  • Contrast is generally too low , e.g.
    • the black circle around the page numbers is barely visible, really hard to tell on which page one is currently on
    • foreground/background colour scheme in the thread view is not optimal, it's hard to see where a post starts and ends when scrolling through quickly
  • Within a thread, posts use space inefficiently (a lot of white space, avatars displaying in their own row above the posts, does the thread/post title really need to be displayed on every post?, etc.)
  • No clear delimiter between post content and signatures (leading to confusion where a post ends, and interrupted reading flow)

These issues above apply to browsing the forums through a phone (Android 7.1 + Chrome in my case). I'm often using reduced screen brightness, e.g. in a dark environment (yay for a dark forum theme!), however that tends to exacerbate contrast issues.

Josh has given me a special style to develop on, and I'll be updating it regularly as I bring the forum's style back to where it should be. If you want to access it, click your avatar button in the bar at the top right of the screen, and select "User Control Panel". From there, navigate to "Board Preferences" and select "DevRavaio" from the "My board style" dropdown. :)

Talvieno wrote:Quotes should look much better now

Links should be the appropriate color

and a lot of other smaller goodies (mostly the ones I've already mentioned in this thread). You'll probably have to refresh your cache.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:14 pm
Josh has given me a special style to develop on, and I'll be updating it regularly as I bring the forum's style back to where it should be. If you want to access it, click your avatar button in the bar at the top right of the screen, and select "User Control Panel". From there, navigate to "Board Preferences" and select "DevRavaio" from the "My board style" dropdown. :)

Talvieno wrote:Quotes should look much better now

Links should be the appropriate color

and a lot of other smaller goodies (mostly the ones I've already mentioned in this thread).
Started using it earlier, much nicer.
The title text being right aligned is great too.

Buttons still too bright green, could make the text color the dark grey of the background when the background is green, that'll work too.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Before: After using this website for so many years now, I was used to the look and feel.
After: So much quality and I love the curve of the planet in the background, and it's a refreshing feel, and it reminds me that LT is coming along and going places, and I'm so happy for Josh, and we've a great community and this forum will help people who come back that a lot of things have changed for the better.

+1
I want to now view all these nested quotes and their colours (goes hunting)
o/
:D
:train: :jumping:

P.S. OMG, Trains!! :D

P.S. "Welcome Home Pilot" is a lovely addition, it is true, after a long hard day at work, I will turn here just to see how everyone else is doing.. *hugs* to everyone.. :D
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now