Return to “Announcements”

Re: [ FORUM UPDATE ] : Feedback, Known Issues, Etc.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:08 am
i also cant do anything on mobile at the moment, regardless of what subforum i want to enter it sends me to the help page
(why cant i login blah)
i cant even login on mobile because when i click the login button it gives me the search bar.
current chrome version on android 6.0.1
Yep, can confirm that. Was trying to login on my phone and clicking on login opens the search :D

Switched to the desktop version to get it working.
professional lurker since forever

Ok folks, awake and back in the world! Though I really need to do LT-related coding today, I will work with Talv to implement some of the QoL changes. Not sure what's up with the mobile problems -- I tested a decent amount of it in chrome's device emulator with a few different common phones. Never tested logging in though. Will look into that.

@Talvieno: Huzzah! Thanks for fixing it :) I'm surprised <span /></span> worked in the first place, AFAIK that's not valid [x]html. <span /> means <span></span>....so the whole thing would be <span></span> spoilstuff </span>, which really should never have worked? Anywho. Good job.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:12 am
@Talvieno: Huzzah! Thanks for fixing it :) I'm surprised <span /></span> worked in the first place, AFAIK that's not valid [x]html. <span /> means <span></span>....so the whole thing would be <span></span> spoilstuff </span>, which really should never have worked? Anywho. Good job.
Nope, not proper code. Easy fix. :) Glad it was so easy, actually; I was worried I'd really have to dig.

So, current changes-to-be-implemented:
- Better post look, with separation between post and sig and better differentiation from the background
- Visible quotes! Nested quotes! Lots of pretty! Quotes alternate colors the farther you nest them. All the lovely quotes
- Icons on the main page are the appropriate colors where they should be, and larger/more visible - colors are also easier to read
- The "online" avatar bubble is fixed and now actually a bubble. I had that code in before but Josh seems to have missed it/not added it. It's ready for the update now.
- Non-front-page titles overlayed on the banner are hard to read because of the light colors of the planet atmosphere + the white text. Simple fix would be to center or right-justify the text.

(JoshEDIT: added an item to the list)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Slymodi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:46 am
damn this is sexy
idk about that... it's not really a lustrous place yet... Not until more prettys are added. :ghost:

EDIT: ALSO AGH!!! MY AVATAR IS TIIIINY
WAS BIG BEFORE UPDATE
Is maximum avatar size larger now? AAAGH. :ghost:
I am Groot.
Please don't take my advice. You will wind up in jail if you do.
For some reason, I feel obliged to display how many people have talked in IRC over the past 2 hours: Image :problem:
:ugeek:

I'd like to also add that changing the color of the page number you are currently on instead of just making it bold would help quite a bit. I also kind of miss the PM button that was below the names of most users.
Example of what I see: Image Edit: I just noticed that Ltheory // Forums and Board Index (located at the top of the page) both link to: index.php which is fine but a little redundant.

Edit 2: It would appear that making a New Topic in the General area is currently disabled. :evil:
Last edited by BFett on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll add that to my list of things to fix. However, your screen could probably use adjustment: There is actually a darker circle under the selected page number. It seems to be a common problem for some reason, but that's okay - it's why I'm working on things.

In the meantime, I've managed to update Taiya enough that she's reading the RSS again to #limittheoryforum - so that's good. She still hasn't regained her anti-bot capabilities, but hopefully she won't need to after the upgrade.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Overall, a nice look, some new functionality, more modern Evildoer Defenses. Nice! Thank you both for your work on this. (As I mentioned to Tal, I was starting to experience Limit Theory Forum Withdrawal Syndrome. :D Funny how much interacting with the folks here has been so much a part of my day for years now.)

Zero major glitches detected, and no serious usability impediments.

Minor things:

• Text is using up more screen space (hoping I can find the old text size controls)
  • Bigger text means more scrolling :( when typing posts (may also be addressed by text size controls)
  • Not a fan of mobile CSS: is there a "use desktop" setting?
  • I miss the clickable emojis when typing a post
  • Can't seem to find "number of posts to display per page" option!

These are QoL quirks, some of which may be specific to me, so no worries about them. Overall, the new forum is very usable.

\o/

BFett wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:58 am
Edit 2: It would appear that making a New Topic in the General area is currently disabled. :evil:
This is now fixed. Thanks for the heads-up. Not sure what happened there.
Cornflakes_91 wrote: what i also just noticed missing is the "next page" button on the lower right in threads with multiple pages
The equivalent is on the bottom-left instead of the bottom-right. Not my design choice. I could move it, but you'll have to give me time. :P Currently I don't think it qualifies as critical.
Flatfingers wrote:
  • Text is using up more screen space (hoping I can find the old text size controls)
Really? It takes up less on mine. Could you screenshot? Also, what browser are you using?
[*]Not a fan of mobile CSS: is there a "use desktop" setting?
Mobile css is currently utterly broken. I'll look into that shortly; desktop users take priority though.
[*]I miss the clickable emojis when typing a post
They're still available... but only as a pop-up display accessible from the bottom right of the posting panel. I'll see if I can restore it to its former glory.
[*]Can't seem to find "number of posts to display per page" option!
These are QoL quirks, some of which may be specific to me, so no worries about them. Overall, the new forum is very usable.
I haven't looked for this, but I'll do so soon. Thanks for mentioning it. And I'm glad you find it usable! Hopefully eventually you'll find it enjoyable/pretty as well. :P I just need to put the work in.

Sorry, should have mentioned I'm currently viewing the forum through Mobile Safari.

One other thing I just noticed: the "breadcrumbs" links (which used to be at the top of each page but are now down at the bottom -- not a problem) now show only the single link for the next topic level up (such as "General") rather than links for each level in the hierarchy back up to the forum index page.

In the previous forum, I could quickly find and press "Mark all read" and then single-click on whatever I wanted the next topic level to be. Now I either have to be sure I'm at the bottom of the page (to see the truncated breadcrumbs link) and click one link up, than back to the bottom and click one link up, etc., or go to the top-level forum index page and navigate down.

This isn't going to ruin my day. It's just less convenient.

Online Now