Return to “Announcements”

Re: The State of Limit Theory Development, 2017 Edition!

I liked the length the Josh's post :thumbup: , really informative as to what's been happening over this time period.

As a developer myself I often spend time on prototypes / experiments either within the main code or in small test bed files outside of the main code to find solutions to problems. If I don't fully solve a problem, parts of what I've tested often prove useful in getting closer to my goals. What I find is there is always a solution to every problem no matter how hard or impossible it seems at the time, it just means I have to keep on looking until I do so. It's likely to be found in pieces as you go in most cases and at least you get the feeling you are getting there.
---<<< Limit Theory Kickstarter Backer >>>----

Hiya Josh, glad to see you poke your head out of the coding cave. :mrgreen: Just keep at it, you're doing fine. While I certainly want the game today, I think I sort of understand the complexity of what you are trying to accomplish, because as I stated once before, I have spent some time just thinking about what it would take to make a game like this even though I am no coder. I have dabbled with programming before so I sort of have a small idea, but conceptually, the things that need to be running in the background of this kind of game is mind boggling, at least it was to me.

Also, I laud the fact that you are at least attempting to make the game that no other dev has attempted, AND you seem to be trying to do it the RIGHT way, which of course does take time, but like they say, all good things come to those who wait.

Also, I know, I know..... I might make a suggestion for what it's worth. I know there are some on this forum who will get their pharyngeal gill slits in an uproar when I say this, but I don't care. Take one day of the week to give thanks to God for what you have, and do NO work at all, or at least nothing that has to do with LT. Just take a day to rest and recreate, decompress.

Other than that, keep up the work and don't give up. I know you will finish this game, I'm just not sure of when. :think: :lol:

Take care, and may the force be with you.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Cornered and out of options, with a community expecting an imminent RTB post, my kernel crashed. And it crashed hard.
to say it bluntly: Du bist ein Depp! ("you are an idiot" but with a weak/friendly tone on idiot. like you call a buddy idiot who just left his keys inside and has to spend another hurried 5 minutes to find them)
Corn, the right translation to "Depp" would be "fool". "Idiot" is too strong in my opinion. Other than that, I fully agree. I do hope that Josh will from now on keep us updated with a weekly post (Sunday is good), so we'll at least have some idea about what's going on with LT.

Are you still testing on that mediocre piece of hardware you once mentioned or do you have a decent medium PC something with GTX 780, QuadCore i7 (3.5GHz). This was 3 years before a highend PC and therefore is now a decent med range pc. Would be interesting if those performance problems still exists on such a machine...

It mights be to much perfection to go for "it has to run on 10 year old" pc with 60 FPS. Normally I see game developer developing on the newest hardware and player have to adjust (buy new hardware) if they want to play it not the other way around.

What features could you drop to get the performance up?

If you look from a perfectionist view over your last post, do you really think your inner perfectionist is dead? I saw him on your shoulder looking at this post and laughing.

Personally I dont think weekly updates or strict time frames for updates are a good idea. I would prefer an anouncement within each update like "next update in 4-6 weeks or 2-3 months" or else you open up for question 1min after the ultimatum of 1 week runs out for questions where the update is :ghost:

It feels like you are trying to climb up the mount everest to show us the view from top when the majority might already enjoy the view from a 3 or 4000m top.

One last question ... Are you maybe overdelivering?

Netzbummler wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Cornered and out of options, with a community expecting an imminent RTB post, my kernel crashed. And it crashed hard.
to say it bluntly: Du bist ein Depp! ("you are an idiot" but with a weak/friendly tone on idiot. like you call a buddy idiot who just left his keys inside and has to spend another hurried 5 minutes to find them)
Corn, the right translation to "Depp" would be "fool". "Idiot" is too strong in my opinion. Other than that, I fully agree. I do hope that Josh will from now on keep us updated with a weekly post (Sunday is good), so we'll at least have some idea about what's going on with LT.
Fool! That was the word i was searching for!
(Thats why i explained it)
You are right.

It mights be to much perfection to go for "it has to run on 10 year old" pc with 60 FPS. Normally I see game developer developing on the newest hardware and player have to adjust (buy new hardware) if they want to play it not the other way around.
Developing on a high-end PC is one of the reasons performance bottlenecks get unnoticed, until its too late.
Better to develop / or at least regularily test on a mid-range PC.

Games usually dont tend to get faster, the more features get added...

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Netzbummler wrote:
Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Fool! That was the word i was searching for!
(Thats why i explained it)
You are right.
Spoiler:      SHOW
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Hey, we have a poshjost! Nice to see that all the JOSH IS KILL talk was mistaken, and that you're alright. Sorry to hear about all the troubles with LT, but it's good to know that progress has been and is being made. I also approve of the new communication plan. It should suffice to hopefully quell the type of General Unhappiness that cropped up here in your absence. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to what I hope will be the new Golden Days! :wave:

IronDuke wrote:
Talvieno wrote:
Spoiler:      SHOW
I may not be an expert in German... but I'm pretty sure that would be "flieht, ihr Deppe!" since he spoke in plural. "Fly, you fools!

Slap me if I'm wrong. :shifty:

--IronDuke

First: it would be "Flieht ihr Deppen"
Second: in the movie he says "Flieht ihr Narren"
Because "Depp" isnt high language but more slang.
And "Narr" is high language, which is used in pretty much all movies.

Online Now