Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

Awesome Nebula/Backdrop generation!
Awesome smooth models and rounded corners! (gotta be carefull tough, Apple might sue =)
Awesome small particles!
Awesome RTS interface!
Awesome shading!
Awesome shape and textures on the astereoids!
Awesome interface design, (although the vignette effect should have more falloff)

Great ambient occlusion! (maybe a tiny bit too bright, but a hellof alot good anyway).
Great guns! (alltough they need more detail, and variation).

Good ship-textures. Looked great on the big ships. But not that good on the fighters.
Since alot of our ability to determine scale comes from percived level of detail theese
relativly small metal-plates doesn't quite feel right. And also the great difference
between the reflectivity and the darkness of the plates creates a small "zebra-effect".
But the "galvanized" feel of the shiny parts are awesome, altough it didn't scale
very good on the bigger ships.

But I'm impressed at how much progress you made in a month, I feel like a fat lazy slob compared to you...

Really impressive indeed !!!
rickisen wrote:Awesome Nebula/Backdrop generation!
Awesome smooth models and rounded corners! (gotta be carefull tough, Apple might sue =)
Awesome small particles!
Awesome RTS interface!
Awesome shading!
Awesome shape and textures on the astereoids!
Awesome interface design, (although the vignette effect should have more falloff)

Great ambient occlusion! (maybe a tiny bit too bright, but a hellof alot good anyway).
Great guns! (alltough they need more detail, and variation).

Good ship-textures. Looked great on the big ships. But not that good on the fighters.
Since alot of our ability to determine scale comes from percived level of detail theese
relativly small metal-plates doesn't quite feel right. And also the great difference
between the reflectivity and the darkness of the plates creates a small "zebra-effect".
But the "galvanized" feel of the shiny parts are awesome, altough it didn't scale
very good on the bigger ships.

But I'm impressed at how much progress you made in a month, I feel like a fat lazy slob compared to you...
nuff'said !!!!

Others have said it more aptly than I will, but thank you, Josh. In one month of development you have far outpaced what I would have guessed as being humanely possible;) The more I see Limit Theory progress, the more I think that Limit Theory will only be the first of many great things. Keep it up!
The short question: "What is truth?"
The short answer: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Josh, that looks really good. I'm very impressed, especially that RTS/Command interface. After watching that video for the first time, all I thought was: "NEED THAT GAME NOW!", and then I was watching it some more.

However, there were a few things that I noticed, but I realize that this is still very early code. When you changed the POV to first person, the ship seemed to fit in a smaller space than it could when you had the third person POV, when you were canyon-running the capital ship.
But that could be a matter of perspective. :)
avatar made from a photo by abbyreed

madjo wrote:Josh, that looks really good. I'm very impressed, especially that RTS/Command interface. After watching that video for the first time, all I thought was: "NEED THAT GAME NOW!", and then I was watching it some more.

However, there were a few things that I noticed, but I realize that this is still very early code. When you changed the POV to first person, the ship seemed to fit in a smaller space than it could when you had the third person POV, when you were canyon-running the capital ship.
But that could be a matter of perspective. :)
Interesting, but it must be a perceptual thing...the ship doesn't change sizes, the camera just moves to a new position :?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford
About the RTS interface

Josh, I understand it is very early code, so this is not meant to disparage your efforts. But I noticed the grid in the RTS interface turns into a homogenous blue mass if you zoom out far enough. What about every n-th line being a different colour (and painted after/overwriting the blue ones, so it will not be drowned in blue when zoomed out)?

Repeat for really large views with yet other colors. Say,
  • every 10th line in green and overwriting blue when things becone crowded
  • every 100th line in yellow and overwriting green
  • every 1000th line in red and overwriting yellow
Also, I think Asmodai's ideas have merit too.

Ubergumbie wrote:I completely agree with Rabiator the interface did just turn into a sort of blue phase or blob is that you just messing with the sensor stuff or is that a game bug?
I think it is just that the blue lines have a fixed distance in simulated space, and when you look at them from far away, they melt together.
Services like Google Maps counter that by hiding more and more of the small details as you zoom out. I guess LT needs something similar.

Online Now