Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #10: October 2013

Awesome update!!
I love what you have done with the ship's shape. It looks a lot more like a "real" space ship now. :)
And the vastness of the system is awesome! And nice work with research!

I do hope to see some lights/glowing windows on the ships in the future though.
And maybe something more than just planets, asteriods and dust in the systems.
An explorer would probably get tiered of that fairly quickly.

Matthew Cason wrote:A procedural tech tree?!!!!! I do believe that has to be a first in gaming, at least that I know of. Wow.
That has been "the talk" for a while now but it's nice seeing it in action. Even if it's a mock action. =)

Testing and balancing this procedural research tree will be harder than most other systems because you're balancing the probability of a tech and of it's stats... and it will be easier than most other systems because...
you activate the data editor and display the main research node.
You should be able to see what kind of modifiers a certain child can inherit and what the odds are.
If you set the research cost to 0, you could just keep clicking and see how a certain set of balancing values works out.

With both being windows, you can see both work in realtime.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Re: Multiplayer, Revisited

Grumblesaur wrote:The file that you create/edit in the editor can also be edited in text form. They correspond to the same thing, but the node-based method means you'll have a more user-friendly interface and less of a chance (i.e.: none at all) of putting in the wrong type of information. As Josh manically chanted in one of his devlogs, "function... DATA... function... DATA."
There was a lot of caffeine involved, I'm sure.

But one thing is an invaluable help:
That you can edit all properties of a thing because it's all data.
You are not limited to only editing thrust and power of an engine, for instance, because only those two properties have "functions" specifically for editing these values. (I'm looking at you, X3!)

When balancing a game you won't always know in advance which exact bit of data is the key. You have a general plan but in order to get there, you'll have to be creative in gently herding the data in the right direction.
Often it's not the obvious that makes a ship or system good or bad.
Take X3's M7 Shrike. It still has the exact same stats that it had in the 1.0 release! It's painfully slow. It has a horrible laser energy generator.
Yet, with a bit of creative tinkering, it went from "broken pile of crap" to "top 5 in it's class". A spreadsheet wouldn't show a difference.

So having the opportunity to test changes like that is... well... singalong!
Function... DATA... function... DATA... function... DATA... function... DATA...
Re: Multiplayer, Revisited

Gazz wrote:So having the opportunity to test changes like that is... well... singalong!
Function... DATA... function... DATA... function... DATA... function... DATA...
That's the spirit :D :D

Btw is it me or did this post eerily switch threads :shock:

:ghost: :ghost:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Wellp. Watched it, impressed as usual. I like the ship, very nice indeed! And the data thingy, I suspect we'll be seeing Star Destroyers and all sorts once the game's released! Me, I'll be building a Vorlon Planet Killer.

Now go play Morrowind! :twisted:

Edit - And another thing! I don't mind you rambling on in the update videos! It just means there more to watch! :thumbup:
Last edited by HowSerendipitous on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I happen to have a few questions but.... I believe some of those can wait. I think the best way to express what these dev updates do is show them to people who are unfamiliar with the LT project, and watch the expressions of awe and astonishment play upon their faces. Seriously this is some amazing material. It should generate loads of topics to be covered on the forums!

In any case when we do get these updates I don't think it's possible to take too much of our time (or should I say my time as I can only speak for myself). No really, I could stand to watch more of that.

P.S.: Warp lanes are sweet and DREADNOUGHTS!!!!!

:clap: :clap:

Alimarin wrote:GIVE THAT MAN A MEDAL! :squirrel:
Which one? The Purple Finger? =)

Alimarin wrote:This dev video is my personal favorite simply because I get to see Josh change the fire rate to an absurd death beam. :ghost:
I had actually scripted the Absurd Death Beam (with any weapon) in X3 once although that's one of those hardcoded things that you supposedly need a mod for.
Imagine PPC at 30 rps. Or 40 or... insert number.

HowSerendipitous wrote:And the data thingy, I suspect we'll be seeing Star Destroyers and all sorts once the game's released! Me, I'll be building a Vorlon Planet Killer.
I'll have to see about a Vorlon Planet Killer Eating Planet.

Great work Josh.

I am once more intensely jealous of the competence on show across multiple disciplines. I struggle writing half-decent code to draw graphs in Excel!

Excellent to see the tech tree mechanics that have been the subject of so much discussion. And the UI looks fantastic too. I imagine all these layout algorithms are going to come in handy when it comes to visualising player relationships with all the factions there could be in an in "infinite" game.

KS page planet screenshot gave me a shiver. **set as wallpaper** :ghost:

edit: there are still people grousing about planet size? :wtf:

(I rescind popping complaints.. of course this problem will inevitably be crushed as have so many other enemies of LT beauty).

The LTDE deserves every minute of crowing you indulged in over it and much much more! +1 to the suggestion to extend that style/presentation to any other applicable LT widgets.
Last edited by Baile nam Fonn on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Online Now