Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Post Your Favorite Sci-Fi Concept Art

0111narwhalz wrote:I thought you made your signature with a BBCode text editor. :ghost:

Also, who uses those restrictive 2D editors, anyway? Blender all the way! :ghost:
Yeah...uhm...corrected it. :problem:

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Silverware wrote:
0111narwhalz wrote:In that case, why bother with the "pseudo" qualifier at all?
Cause I didn't think :V
FTFY
Hey! No taking out of context here! :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Triggerhappy wrote:
Spoiler:      SHOW
Random station idea: The two rails slide against each other to quickly dodge small asteroids.
"quickly dodge small asteroids."

Uhm...so, you mean the persons in this arm suddenly feel a massive acceleration in one direction, because the station has to move it's arms quickly? And what happens if you accelerate one arm really fast? Will the whole station get "pulled" towards the end of the arm that is coming nearer? Cuz of mass and stuff? Hmm... :think:

And you still didn't tell me HOW you did them in Inkscape. I always have to use a CAD program to make accurate lines and shapes and stuff... :D
Automation engineer, lateral thinker, soldier, addicted to music, books and gaming.
Nothing to see here
Flatfingers wrote: 23.01.2017: "Show me the smoldering corpse of Perfectionist Josh"

Unless your arms weigh about as much as the station, that doesn't actually work. The arms move but the station stays more or less put. (as your center of mass stays put)
And why would you need to dodge asteroid in an orbiting craft? The asteroids move in the same orbit, they're not gonna be moving at any large speed towards you.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Triggerhappy wrote: No solar or radiator panels, this is a very cold station, doesn't do much besides sit there and doge occational asteroids
Where do you get the power to "quickly" move the arms around? Magic?

Also: what do you think is easier to build:
A compact station that has to actively protect a small area (spherical station for example) and not move around in jerky motions and doesnt have to have bracings to hold up hundreds if not thousands of tons against a couple of g.

Or a station that has to jerk around many tons on short notice and has to supply the power and mechanics to do that and keep in one piece while doing so?

(Also mind the general engineering principle: use as few moving parts as possible, especially fast and heavy ones)

Triggerhappy wrote: That small compact station will not significantly reduced surface area.
[citation needed]
A cube has a way smaller surface per volume than an elongated bar.
Triggerhappy wrote: It will, however, require precious fuel to move out of the way.
But can move out of the way all the time, unlike your design which is screwed if the asteroid comes from the side instead of top or bottom. Or if the asteroid is too large.

Dinosawer wrote:
Triggerhappy wrote: That small compact station will not significantly reduced surface area.
[citation needed]
Triggerhappy wrote: It will, however, require precious fuel to move out of the way.
But can move out of the way all the time, unlike your design which is screwed if the asteroid comes from the side instead of top or bottom. Or if the asteroid is too large.
Not significantly dino, not significantly. It will be smaller but not by much. I understand surface area.

Suddenly you need fuel tanks and larger engines that can handle moving the whole thing and then slowing it down in a short time. And you need to refuel it.

That gives me a great idea! Another arm in the third dimension!

PS: cornflakes a laser needs a reactor and radiators and targeting systems, and all that needs maintenance.

Triggerhappy wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:
[citation needed]
Not significantly dino, not significantly. It will be smaller but not by much. I understand surface area.
Do you?

Say your bar is 10 x 1 x 1, having a volume of 10. You have two of them, making it 20.
The surface is ( 4 *(10) + 2*1)*2 = 84.

A cube of said volume has a side of 2.714...
Surface is 2.714^2 * 6 = 44.2.

That's nearly half. I call that significant.

Triggerhappy wrote: PS: cornflakes a laser needs a reactor and radiators and targeting systems, and all that needs maintenance.
And your "hurl a thousand tons around with 5g" system doesnt need maintainance or power? :P

A laser can feed of the same insignificant power source your movement system does into the same a smaller capacitor bank than your movement system has to use and target using the same system you use to track rocks to jank out of the way.

Your system isnt maintainance or power cost free either :P
Triggerhappy wrote:Not significantly dino, not significantly. It will be smaller but not by much. I understand surface area.
Very significantly actually :P
ninja: covered by dino

Online Now