Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Random Rage Thread

Still waiting to make that step. So far, there is no reason to upgrade and I can think of dozens of programs that might outright die under Win10. (I have a lot of old graphics editors and stuff that I still use.) I'd be more likely to buy a completely new machine than upgrade the beast.

Bah. Hundreds of times I've walked to the barn at oh-dark-hundred to give the horses one last feeding of hay for the night, with no trouble from the local wildlife. But this time I was turning the power to the fence back on when something nailed me in the right ankle, just above the sandals I was wearing.

I knew instantly it was a snake. The only question was whether it was a copperhead, which have been seen in our neighborhood (though not by me lately), and how badly he'd hurt me.

Well, I'm still here typing this, so you know it wasn't as bad as it might have been.

Even so, I spent last Wednesday night in the emergency room, wired and IV'd, with a machine yelling so often I couldn't sleep, waiting to see whether there was any swelling and redness going up my leg, or sweats, or heart stopping -- things like that. The good news is, there was none of that. Apparently he'd punctured me, but hadn't injected much if any venom. So no swelling, etc. And they didn't have to go the apparently very expensive route of giving me antivenin, which probably would have had some nasty side effects as well.

After billing me for $3200 (high-deductible insurance -- THANKS, OBAMA), the very nice ER folks finally sent me home. Since then my ankle's been feeling a little better each day, but it still hurts a bit especially when I try to exercise it.

Still, I'm grateful it wasn't worse. Now I'm only having to deal with all the second-guessers and 20/20 hindsight crowd who just "know" I should have been wearing boots and lugging around a heavy flashlight every night.

Stupid snakes.

Flatfingers wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:10 am
Bah. Hundreds of times I've walked to the barn at oh-dark-hundred to give the horses one last feeding of hay for the night, with no trouble from the local wildlife. But this time I was turning the power to the fence back on when something nailed me in the right ankle, just above the sandals I was wearing.

I knew instantly it was a snake. The only question was whether it was a copperhead, which have been seen in our neighborhood (though not by me lately), and how badly he'd hurt me.

Well, I'm still here typing this, so you know it wasn't as bad as it might have been.

Even so, I spent last Wednesday night in the emergency room, wired and IV'd, with a machine yelling so often I couldn't sleep, waiting to see whether there was any swelling and redness going up my leg, or sweats, or heart stopping -- things like that. The good news is, there was none of that. Apparently he'd punctured me, but hadn't injected much if any venom. So no swelling, etc. And they didn't have to go the apparently very expensive route of giving me antivenin, which probably would have had some nasty side effects as well.

After billing me for $3200 (high-deductible insurance -- THANKS, OBAMA), the very nice ER folks finally sent me home. Since then my ankle's been feeling a little better each day, but it still hurts a bit especially when I try to exercise it.

Still, I'm grateful it wasn't worse. Now I'm only having to deal with all the second-guessers and 20/20 hindsight crowd who just "know" I should have been wearing boots and lugging around a heavy flashlight every night.

Stupid snakes.
That sounds expensive, but maybe I just don't have a very good appreciation for what medical bill actually run up to. :think:

Hope you get better.

Also, hi Victor. :wave:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Thanks, gents.

Idunno, it seems expensive to me, too. Without getting into a health insurance debate, the plain facts are that until a couple of years ago I had a lower deductible; now I have to pay thousands out of my own pocket if something happens before my employment-based insurance starts to pay for procedures. Certainly it's better than no coverage, and what's covered is pretty good once the deductible is passed... and of course I'm glad this stupid injury wasn't so bad as to get much more expensive for anyone.

Just... ow. Also, ow.

Online Now