Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Tech Help Thread

Well I finally got the replacement GPU back today, and after putting it in and closing it up, for some reason the PC started normally, but my CPU temps were at like 100c.....because the fan wasn't spinning. But I did read how to try and fix that and it worked, and I just did the test I used on the other GPU and this one didn't have any problems.

So finally after 3 weeks, a replacement card, and like 3 different hardware problems I finally upgraded my GPU from a 760 to a 1070.

but I know as soon as I post this something else will break....
Re: Hardware

BMRX wrote:So because I'm excited I started my upgrade process, I'll post more as more stuff arrives in the mail.

http://imgur.com/a/NVOr4
Now THAT'S an heatsink!!! Looking good, i wish you good luck with your upgrade :thumbup:

Well now that i came out of lurking i might as well ask you guys something...
I'm planning on buying a new laptop, this is my best bet so far but i wonder if it's worth to safe a bit and get the version with the i5 instead of the i7? I will use it mostly for gaming and i'm not sure if the i5 will be a bottleneck for the nvidia 1060... As i understand the desktop version of this cpu would have no issues but the mobile version is underpowered... :think:

New case updated the album with moar pictors.

http://imgur.com/a/NVOr4

Godz, that seems like a pricey laptop I've also never heard of a 2.6 Ghz i7 before. But then again I don't know much about laptops. The i5 seems to be comparable, if it's the right i5 I'm looking at it will boost up to 3.2 Ghz under load. I would say the i5 is a better option, however I'm not very privy on laptops. Maybe we can convince Naed to chirp in on this one.
:D

Thanks for your reply.
2,6 is its base clock, under load it goes to 3,5
The i5 base clock is 2,3 under load is 3,2.
With that graphics card most laptops are even more expensive, anyway i'm waiting for december to see of the price drops a bit

So I have a 144hz monitor, and an old school fullscreen secondary monitor I really don't care about. When I got my 1070 I was talking about earlier, I found that it does not have the old blue socket (I can't remember proper names for the life of me) anymore, as the graphics card has one white slot, a display port slot, and a few HDMI's.

So I took the white cord and ran it to the secondary monitor and got an HDMI for the new 144hz one. I didn't know that most HDMI's can't do 144hz and the monitor does not have a displayport slot on it I don't think.

So what would be the best way to get the new 144hz monitor to work to its full potential (having HDMI and white outputs) and have the old one (only blue and white) to still be connected as my secondary monitor?

I heard that you could get a white to HDMI converter, but I don't see how connecting a white cord to the monitor which then runs down to an HDMI which goes into the card still does 144hz like some forums say it does if its still plugging into an HDMI slot.

any tips would be great.

FYI
white = DVI, of which there are several types
blue = VGA

For your 144Hz monitor you either need DisplayPort or DVI dual link, which is not the same as default DVI: Image (the cable that came with the monitor should be good, though)

HDMI only supports 120 Hz and that only for the newer versions of HDMI. You sure that display doesnt' have DP? Cause that's kinda odd for a 144 Hz monitor.

Using an adapter from HDMI to DVI won't cut it indeed, as you suspect - if one cable in the arrangement doesn't support what you need, it doesn't work.

So, if you only have one DVI port I think your best bet is to get a HDMI to VGA adapter for your older monitor such as this one. Since it needs to convert from digital to analog it uses (USB) power and is a bit more expensive than, say, DVI to VGA, but 15 bucks is still cheaper than a new monitor.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Ok yea the white one is a dual link, so that is good. And as I figured the HDMI I bought must have been a generic older one as it only gives me the option to use 60hz on it. The monitor that is 144hz is a BenQ XL2411, which does not have a display port input for some reason. I am also curious on why the GTX 1070 has 3 DP outputs, and only 1 HDMI along with the white cord. You would think they would split it 2 and 2 for DP and HDMI since HDMI's are much more common.

Will probably buy the adapter you linked, thanks!

Well in the windows option it only gives me the option to select up to 60hz whereas when I was using the GTX 760 and had the white slot and the blue slot, when the 144hz monitor was using the white cable it let me select 144hz. so I dunno :eh:

Well I got the cord and its working wonders (Thanks!) but I just had a weird problem maybe somebody can solve.

So I was testing how high I could put the settings in a modern game, so I tried Titanfall 2 (its great!) and its "Insane" Texture resolution. It warns to have 4-8gb of RAM and Vram which I do both (8gb vram in the gtx 1070 and 12gb System Ram). So I started playing an online match, and surprisingly it was running really well, at least 60fps all the time. but halfway through I got an error sound, the game froze (whole system froze) and it told me that Titanfall 2 was using too much ram and to close it to save data. I figured I could wait until the end of the match and do it, but nope as soon as I brought it back into focus the PC froze up nearly completely and whenever I moved the mouse it beeped at me through the headphones.

The weird thing is, that windows knows I have 12gb RAM (under the system specs it shows my installed RAM and CPU speed), but the task manager I had open said that it was using 68% or so of my ram at 4.5gb used. 68% of 12 is NOT 4.5.....so I don't know what is wrong.

Its not that big of a deal, high textures looks and works fine, its just concerning me that its not using all my RAM when it should.

Any suggestions? Hopefully someone can figure it out :)

AFAIK the task manager doesn't tell you how much % RAM each program uses, only the MB per program and % by all programs together?
Anyway, this might be interesting:
http://superuser.com/questions/585560/h ... -sensitive
TLDR programs can ask for more memory to be kept free for the than they use, and windows will thus give errors long before RAM is full at times.
Try turning off Chrome (a notable RAM hog) and other stuff while playing if you didn't already.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

MrPerson wrote:... but the task manager I had open said that it was using 68% or so of my ram at 4.5gb used.
If that's Windows Task Manager, may I suggest Process Explorer as a replacement - been using it for many years.
Don't know if it will help with your particular problem, but it's much better than Task Manager.
Oolite Naval Attaché

Online Now