Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Hardware

Victor Tombs wrote:
Mistycica wrote:I realized I just wanted a Lumia all along :V
Good to read you've made a decision and are happy with it, Mistycica. :thumbup: :D
I finally made my mind up, now just have to pay for it :D I'll let you know if it was the right call when it arrives.
panic

Heh, I should have posted earlier, I just got the Nexus 6P myself.
And DAMN it's a nice phone. Although in the 2/3 days since I got it, it has burned through a gig of mobile data doing updates. :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Cornflakes_91 wrote:why are you doing updates over mobile data connection in the first place? :V
To even use the phone to view the intertubes, or play games. :V
Should have waited till I had wifi I suppose :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

As some of you may know, I have been without a personal computer since early December. :cry:

I have just received my tax return, and it was enough to get the system I have been looking at for some time $740 at the time of this post. Naed has been very kind in helping me, and this set up, it's nice IMHO.

You might notice that it doesn't have a GPU, as I already have one sitting on my desk (GTX 750 ti) or an OS, because I have access to one.
My plan has been to hold off until LT went beta to buy & build it. But only Josh-God knows when that will be, So I'm thinking of taking the plunge now.

I'm also considering a couple monitors to replace my old converted TV from 2006 :roll: , however I'm unsure as to whether a set of 2 or 3 separate monitors or a 21:9, but maybe I'll just settle for 1 until LT comes out. :lol:

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to make my system better? More RAM? Another HD? what monitors you like? things you would add/change? deep discounts they care to share? :shifty:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I have a ridiculously puny 8 gigs of 1333mhz RAM. My computer is plenty fast anyway, just takes time sometimes to load really big things like Unity. I took one look at your RAM there and drooled. :ghost:
However, if you're anything like me, then you'll need more storage space. I'm currently using nearly a full terabyte of space right now from various projects, video games, movies, and random programs. You might want to fork out another $55 or so on a 1tb HDD, unless you are more space-efficient than I. :monkey:
Alternatively, completely ignore me. :) Just throwing out a few of these: :idea: at random. I am nowhere as much of this: :geek: as some others here, who can claim to be this: :ugeek:.
:shifty:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

I have a 5TB external drive to store all my games on, so I never have a problem with storage space, plus it only cost just above 100$ which isn't that bad for 5TB imo

Only slight problem is that certain games launchers take forever to patch (like any of the WWII World of: games by wargaming) like it took literally 24 hours to do an 800mb update once, while my friends and brother had it done in 5-10min on regular internal drives. But those are the only games that do that, so its worth it to me. I would highly recommend getting one

MrPerson wrote:I have a 5TB external drive to store all my games on, so I never have a problem with storage space, plus it only cost just above 100$ which isn't that bad for 5TB imo

Only slight problem is that certain games launchers take forever to patch (like any of the WWII World of: games by wargaming) like it took literally 24 hours to do an 800mb update once, while my friends and brother had it done in 5-10min on regular internal drives. But those are the only games that do that, so its worth it to me. I would highly recommend getting one
you could just take off the casing and mount the drive in your computer :ghost:

IronDuke wrote:I have a ridiculously puny 8 gigs of 1333mhz RAM. My computer is plenty fast anyway, just takes time sometimes to load really big things like Unity. I took one look at your RAM there and drooled. :ghost:
However, if you're anything like me, then you'll need more storage space. I'm currently using nearly a full terabyte of space right now from various projects, video games, movies, and random programs. You might want to fork out another $55 or so on a 1tb HDD, unless you are more space-efficient than I. :monkey:
Alternatively, completely ignore me. :) Just throwing out a few of these: :idea: at random. I am nowhere as much of this: :geek: as some others here, who can claim to be this: :ugeek:.
:shifty:

--IronDuke
Yeah, my old system was a
i7 3.4GHz
12GB DDR3-1600
GeForce GT 640
2TB 7200rpm

Which was nice, it served me well, handling most of my games at pretty decent speeds, with the exception of Crusader Kings 2, and only then when I was running at top speed and A gigantic war between 2 great empires broke out or a Jihad/Crusade.

This new one is a
i5 3.2GHz
16GB DDR4-2400
Geforce GTX 750ti
and 500GB SSD

It's going to be primarily for LT, but also other favorites like heavily modded CK2, heavily modded Civ 4, Heavily modded Skyrim, an occasional dab in the sims, minecraft, and Democracy 3, and I'd like to finally play Morrowind, Cities Skylines, Rust, and GTA 5 which have been sitting in my steam account since my computer died.

I was always pretty light on storage, in my 2TB drive, I only had about 800GB, and a lot of that was collections of music and movies and art and such. Once I copied those to 2 externals, I only had about 400GB, and I probably could have cut that in half if I deleted more games that I didn't use. I plan to see how I use the 500GB SSD, but SSD's are getting pretty cheap. I can probably just offload stuff to an external (I have like 8TB of them lying around :roll: ) until I drop some more on another 500GB SSD.

Depending on what comes of LT (and mods) in terms of performance, I might splurge for a better GPU or more RAM (If that's somehow necessary). But certainly not until it proves necessary. I don't usually go with the most graphically intense games, but more CPU intense games. :geek: :monkey: :geek:

Also, Those monitors will be a damn fine improvement over what I have now, a ~10 year old 19" LCD TV/DVD player combo with HD 720p graphics :roll:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I notice you have a thing for slightly weaker GPUs. Or is it that I like mine to be rather powerful? :think: Not downplaying the GTX 750 Ti or anything; it was nearly the card I bought for this computer, but I ended up going for the 960 instead. :geek:
Speaking of, I got an email which seems to indicate that EVGA is shipping my replacement card today. :thumbup: I was told on the IRC that it needed to be RMAd, so I sent it in. Looks like I'm getting the new one in a couple of days. Can't wait, since I'm very tired of this puny HD 5850 I have as backup. :oops: Every time I start up a game that I haven't played on it yet, I scream as I crank sliders to the left. :lol:

The odd thing is, though, you seem to like more powerful CPUs. My processor is a i-5 4590 quadcore at 3.3 Ghz, boosting to 3.7. It's the most powerful one I ever had, running everything practically instantly; only the RAM limits load times, as I mentioned. It's a heck of a lot better than the old Pentium 4 I used a few years back. :sick:

And yeah, that monitor needs improvement. :shifty: I'm using a very generic 1080p monitor right now, from Dell. Great colors, works without any issues, but I can't wait for the day when I will finally get to bask in the glory of a 28" 4K monitor. :twisted:

--IronDuke
Knowledge is Power, and Power goes in Cars.
I-War 2 thread
Epic Limit Theory Limerick

Online Now