Return to “Everything & Anything”

Hardware

I didn't really see a recent thread on this topic, and don't wanna necro anything decomposing, so I'll just open this here.

I'm planning on a major hardware upgrade - well, technically not an upgrade since I have nothing to pass down on it - right this September. I assembled a sort of a list here, components, everything. I kinda like how it looks right now, did a lot of research, and I'd like nth opinion. It's still subject to change, but not all that much, and a lot depends on what my local store carries, personal taste, brand loyalty, and small quirks like a 105 key keyboard, or the need for good ventilation in summer around here.
I'm coming from a HD 4000, so it's gonna feel plaid :D The cash is about the most I'm willing to spend, and I value silence, cool running, looks, and reliability for years over sheer crunching power, although it should be able to run things 'well'.

So, any issues, advice, opinions, things to keep in mind? I'm sorta green, this is my second build, and first for myself. Obviously, I want it nice.
panic
Re: Hardware

If you not want to upgrade soon I would take the RAM to two 4GB sticks. Dual Channel runs a little faster.

CPU is a good choice I think. Also the Asus-Board ... I have extremely good experience with them when dealing with graphics cards. Had several defect cards of other brands (Gainward, Club ...) but my decade old Asus runs still fine (overclocked years ago and even sawed off some pieces of the cooler to fit better in my custom case).

PSU seems good but I like Seasonic a lot (S12 or something like that).

CPU-coolers can be found really cheap at ebay ... never had a problem with those .... got a Mugen 3 for about 15$ ... not so uncommon.

Ah, and I love Fractal. ^^

So, that all was advice and ideas ... this is an order:
Headphones: Superlux 681 or 681EVO (should also be around 20$)
Mic: http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Pr ... hp?Idx=678

Mouse: Revoltec RE122 Fightmouse Elite
Some shops offer it very cheap. It has ceramicpads. My brother has one of those and I am so jealous having a 70$ Razermous. Those pads glide like on ice for years ... my mous started scratching after a week .... those damn teflonpads ....

I got a 120gb ssd and it wasn't quiiiite enough, I was always just on the limit for games anmd ahd to choose what was installed at any given time. I have a 250gb evo now and it's just enough.
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

Katawa wrote:I got a 120gb ssd and it wasn't quiiiite enough, I was always just on the limit for games anmd ahd to choose what was installed at any given time. I have a 250gb evo now and it's just enough.
And if it is too expensive: I have a 32GB SanDisk Caching SSD. It automaticly puts everything you use frequently there ... even parts of games or folders and programs on totally different HDDs.
And if it breaks (and my experience is: they(SSDs) do) you lose nothing ... your PC is just a bit slower till its repaired.
Speed is almost the same.
Last edited by MP X10L on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For the HDD, I'd have to agree with Katawa. 120gb is a bit on the low-end (but completely understandable if you're trying to keep it a bit more within the budget) as I keep maybe one or two heavily used games on my SSD. I use a 256 and usually hang out around the 160gb used mark.

I'd keep the memory as a single 8gb stick. Those prices are usually cheap enough where slapping a second, third, or fourth 8gb stick in will usually be fairly quickly down the line.

As for CPU, I'm a bit partial to the unlocked intels, so I'd suggest a 4770k from Microcenter (as it usually retails for about $100 less than MSRP @ $270) but that's still a bit more than what you have budgeted for your CPU.

I did notice you're getting your GPU from Microcenter as well. If you live close enough to one to walk into one, they usually have deals where if you buy a motherboard, cpu, and/or SSD combo you'll get an even steeper discount.

When I bought my 3770k, mobo, and SSD last year in March, I ended up getting enough of a discount that I bumped my SSD from 128 to 256 and still paid less than if I had bought them separately and went with a 128.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Hah, sorry, no, the prices and stores there are fluke! I don't live anywhere near the US, I didn't even bother checking them or setting up the list there properly! So I'm afraid I'm not really eligible for any kind of discount, there's even a bit of a premium on electronics here, converted this already runs at about $120 extra on that base price. Three months may see it climb down a little bit, but I'm not holding my breath.

I might as well slap a larger SSD in, not gonna ruin me. I'm just huddled into a 64 gig system SSD and a 320 gig spinner disk right now, so my sense of proportion is a bit skewed, yanno? :lol: Dammit, I'm trying to keep it down, but pockets are burning... Processor upgrade is a definite no, it's a little bit shy of double the price of the i5. I have to draw a line somewhere. Headphones I'll consider, a Siberia v2 would be ideal, but again, line! Anyway, I'm glad I apparently didn't make any silly rookie mistakes or blundered into anything obviously defective.
panic

Mistycica wrote:Hah, sorry, no, the prices and stores there are fluke! I don't live anywhere near the US, I didn't even bother checking them or setting up the list there properly! So I'm afraid I'm not really eligible for any kind of discount, there's even a bit of a premium on electronics here, converted this already runs at about $120 extra on that base price. Three months may see it climb down a little bit, but I'm not holding my breath.

I might as well slap a larger SSD in, not gonna ruin me. I'm just huddled into a 64 gig system SSD and a 320 gig spinner disk right now, so my sense of proportion is a bit skewed, yanno? :lol: Dammit, I'm trying to keep it down, but pockets are burning... Processor upgrade is a definite no, it's a little bit shy of double the price of the i5. I have to draw a line somewhere. Headphones I'll consider, a Siberia v2 would be ideal, but again, line! Anyway, I'm glad I apparently didn't make any silly rookie mistakes or blundered into anything obviously defective.
Overall, the system you picked out is quite good. The fact you're getting the video card you are will help a lot in the future. You may not be able to run the latest and greatest maxed out, but the system will last you for quite awhile. :thumbup:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Mistycica wrote:I might as well slap a larger SSD in, not gonna ruin me. I'm just huddled into a 64 gig system SSD and a 320 gig spinner disk right now, so my sense of proportion is a bit skewed, yanno? :lol: Dammit, I'm trying to keep it down, but pockets are burning... Processor upgrade is a definite no, it's a little bit shy of double the price of the i5. I have to draw a line somewhere.
I run my OS and games on the ssd and all my user/save folders on a 2tb hdd. If the OS or ssd ever croak it has a really low chance of affecting important files.
There's no reason, if you're not doing production work, to get more than an i5 this generation, but you should get an unlocked k model. I would also suggest 2 ram sticks at once because it will use dual channel and because kits that come with two sticks have been tested together.

Check out these links for setting up your new system. Be sure to use the software samsunug provides for its evo ssds, it's very good.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/sean ... -ssds-hdds
http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/sean ... -ssds-hdds
woops, my bad, everything & anything actually means specific and conformed

You forgot to tell us what do you want to do with your computer. Always usefull information :)

I don't know how do you feel about buying an AMD GPU, but you should check the R9 270X. You can find it for 200$, and it is only 6% slower than the GTX 760. It could be perfect for your tight budget.

And please, guys, don't start a war on AMD vs Nvidia, please.
Please forgive my English mistakes, and don't forget :
"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents." - Bob Ross

I'd like a little bit of futureproofing, yah. I'm gonna consider things again a little bit later, still loads of time :)
Those guides sure look handy.
Echo wrote:You forgot to tell us what do you want to do with your computer. Always usefull information :)
I wanna write school papers on it and play minesweeper :V

Duh, of course it's for gaming :lol: With shadows on!
panic

It's always worth considering watercooling for your build, Mistycica. I like the Corsair Hydro range myself. Obviously it depends on your budget but I bought one of the first models available and it does a great job, especially on a gaming rig. :angel:

Victor Tombs wrote:It's always worth considering watercooling for your build, Mistycica. I like the Corsair Hydro range myself. Obviously it depends on your budget but I bought one of the first models available and it does a great job, especially on a gaming rig. :angel:
Yeah, we are slowly getting waaay out there :P I'll look into it nonetheless, but it doesn't look like a huge upgrade for that price premium, since I'm not looking into any hardcore performance or huge OC, and noise is said to be significant. Said to fit the case at least.

I more like want a small, pretty box with gear inside to quietly tick away things I throw at it. Generate 10k year DF worlds in 30 seconds run Star Citizen is the most I currently expect.
panic

Mistycica wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:It's always worth considering watercooling for your build, Mistycica. I like the Corsair Hydro range myself. Obviously it depends on your budget but I bought one of the first models available and it does a great job, especially on a gaming rig. :angel:
Yeah, we are slowly getting waaay out there :P I'll look into it nonetheless, but it doesn't look like a huge upgrade for that price premium, since I'm not looking into any hardcore performance or huge OC, and noise is said to be significant. Said to fit the case at least.

I more like want a small, pretty box with gear inside to quietly tick away things I throw at it. Generate 10k year DF worlds in 30 seconds run Star Citizen is the most I currently expect.
:lol: Yes, it is more expensive. My comment was just to give you something else to think about. I've never had a problem with noise but I am aware that others have. That's easily remedied with a fan controller and I believe the newer models have a control built in. My unit is fitted inside the Antec 300 case which is situated at ground level so I probably don't notice as much as those who have their case on a desk, at ear level. I must admit my current system is overclocked. :P

The next build will be a real beast and I would never consider going back to traditional methods of cooling. I intend really maxing out for Star Citizen ;) :D

Victor Tombs wrote: :lol: Yes, it is more expensive. My comment was just to give you something else to think about. I've never had a problem with noise but I am aware that others have. That's easily remedied with a fan controller and I believe the newer models have a control built in. My unit is fitted inside the Antec 300 case which is situated at ground level so I probably don't notice as much as those who have their case on a desk, at ear level. I must admit my current system is overclocked. :P

The next build will be a real beast and I would never consider going back to traditional methods of cooling. I intend really maxing out for Star Citizen ;) :D
Yeah, I'll keep it in mind. I'm a bit behind on the best and latest, didn't know water cooling became that easy with the integrated systems, and relatively inexpensive. Case gonna go a bit above ground here, I'm kinda wondering what I could use as elevation? Maybe a milk crate painted black :lol: But it's also bed level, don't want it whine too much, after experiencing what a cheap, vibrating case does.
Bah, you really got me wondering. Damn, builds and prices go up to infinity...
Oh, also. Pics, want! :D
panic

I was so looking forward to X-Rebirth, I went out and bought a beast of a rig.

This picture shows the core aspect of the rig, with some noteable changes:

Case is now an NZXT Phantom 530 Full Tower Gaming Case - Red:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... 2&catid=35
This case has 3 speed settings for the air cooler - it is always on it's lowest setting and is ultra quiet.
I don't believe in OC, so it's perfect for my needs.

The entry level seidon 120m wasn't enough, so I replaced it with a Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler - Blue:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =HS-001-PT
It looks very well with the red case.

Lastly, with the single GPU card sitting beside the PSU (at the bottom, and away from the CPU), I have no complaints:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... -MS&tool=3

Here's the rest of the kit (replace with the above to round it out):
Image As for how I built the rig, I went onto http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_in ... =FS-387-OE's System configurator, looking for a silent computer.
Got it built and found out it was noisy as hell, and replaced the case (eventually) to the NZXT.
So now I have: 2 x 200mm on the top, 3 x 140mm on the front and back, with another 120mm inside to push the air around better.

As I don't live in the UK, and the pound is not very kind to the euro, I headed over to hardwareversand.de and searched for the same components there, for much cheaper.

The beauty is I can OC this guy up to 5.9 Ghz whenever I replace it in 5+ years.

My old PC is a Q6600, and I'll be resurrecting it too when I get another air cooler for it.
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now